[techtalk] Different Linuxes - what's the difference?

Henti Smith hentis at is.co.za
Thu Oct 14 14:07:27 EST 1999

> All my experience (limited as it is) is with BSDI Unix and
> Red Hat. Having watched the ^H thread, I have become curious -- what, if
> any, are the most noticeable differences between the various flavours of
> Linux?

here is a quick breakdown ..

	location of some files ( userspace, config, other arb things)
	syntax in commands ( there are small differences
	C libs used.
	startup system ( System V or something else can't remember )

> There is sime self-interest involved.  I am saving uip for an
> (off-line) basic UNIX box, and will end up buying a CD.  Thus, the
> diference between RdHat, SUSe, Slack et alia might be important, given my
> priorities for learning (perl on a machine where messing up has limited
> consequences).

if you setup the system for users to have little effect on the system ..
this should not be a proble regardless of what dist you use.

> But, I also think it would be of general interest, ne?

sure thing ..

for a nice spread of things ... have a look at mandrake ( redhat based ),
S.U.S.E, and for a nice twist .. freeBSD :)

Henti / bain