[techtalk] MAJOR newbie question

Beverly Guillermo bguill at home.com
Wed Oct 13 23:02:19 EST 1999

> My Unix class is actually working on Linux RedHat 5.2.  I
> telnet to the server from home.  A friend and I are playing with
> talk and write to send messages back and forth.  I think we've
> got talk down, but here's the problem with write:  How, if at
> all, do I correct my butterfinger typing when I'm sending a write
> message?  When I backspace, the bad typing remains and I get
> a ^H in addition to it.  Any way around that?

[root at stalefish ~]$ stty -a

This should brings up a list of control keys that the Linux (or any
unix) system uses.  Look for an entry that says 'erase' and check to
see if it has the ^H in there.  The '^H' is the binding for the
backspace key, there's a different binding for the Delete key.  If
it isn't ^H next to erase, you can change it if you're more
comfortable using backspace rather then delete.

[root at stalefish ~]$ stty erase '^H'

This should do the trick.  But if you're using the delete key as
backspace, it may not work anymore. =)

Beverly Guillermo                                         [[mezanin]]
bguill at home.com                        http://members.home.com/bguill