[techtalk] modem help

Wendt,Andrew awendt at neo.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 21:16:02 EST 1999

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, you wrote:
>I am a newbie and am having a problem setting up my modem.  When I go to
>kppp I get an error message that says:
>
>"kppp has detected a "lock" option in /etc/ppp/options.  This option has to
>be removed since kppp takes care of the device locking itself.  Contact your
>system admin."

You need to edit your /etc/ppp/options file... Look for a line that says "lock"
and remove it.

If you want to do this from within KDE, you need to become root. I have a
convenient "File Manager (Super User Mode)" to give me a file manager as root,
on my K menu in the System folder. It might be somewhere else for you, or you
might not have it.

After you enter your root password, it should pop up a new file manager window,
and you can change the location bar at the top to read "file:/etc/ppp", and
just click on the file "options".

If it doesn't automatically load in a text editor but instead asks you what
program to load, you can just type "kedit".

When you've deleted the `lock' line and saved the file, you're done.