[techtalk] Netscape and Java

kev kevin.porter at fast.no
Wed Oct 13 17:51:53 EST 1999

Laurel Fan wrote:

> Excerpts from linuxchix: 13-Oct-99 [techtalk] Netscape and Java by kev at fast.no
> > How does everyone else get on with Netscape and Java (developing and
> > browsing)?
>
> My ns 4.5 works fine. However, I don't particularly like random Java
> applets, so whenever I see that gray rectangle come up I hit the stop
> button :)

What happens if you don't hit the stop button? Does your browser crash?

> Does the JDK for Linux come with an applet viewer?

Yes. I've just run my applet in appletviewer. My God, it is slooooww..... But at
least it doesn't crash. I remember trying to compile my applet on Linux once - it
wouldn't happen, can't remember the compilation errors.

Well I hate to say it, but at the moment it looks to me like developing Java on a
Win platform is better than on Linux. My applet runs incredibly slow in
appletviewer, pretty slow in Netscape (before it crashes!). The same applet runs
OK in Netscape on Windoze, but (and this is the hardest part to say :-) it runs
lightning quick in Explorer.

ta,

- Kev