[techtalk] newbie questions

Caitlyn Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Wed Oct 13 09:35:15 EST 1999

Hi, Shelly,

> since i found this list a couple weeks ago, i've had a few questions
> come to mind... probably silly ones, but i'm a winNT admin - turned -
> linux - newbie  (of about 6 months now). =)

Another convert!  Join the club  :)

I've actually done UNIX (as well as NT) stuff for about five years.  I was
introduced to Linux by a woman I worked with in 1995, but have been running
it and using it for only about a year and a half.

> 1 - can multiple distros of linux be dual-booted?

Yep.  It's not a problem.

> 2- speaking of distros, any preferences

For me, it's Red Hat.  It has the best combination of lots of stuff straight
out of the box, ease of install, and lots of really good admin tools that
some of the others don't have.  The price of the shrink wrapped 6.1 is down
to $29.99, so price isn't an issue any more.  Also, there are tons of RPMs
scattered about the net, which makes adding software a snap.

Red Hat has also been great about supporting the local geek community, BTW.

> 3- and my final question for the day..... is there a magic place on the
> net to find references to hardware model numbers, etc

Red Hat actually has an excellent reference for what is and is not supported
on their site.

Take care,
Caity