[techtalk] Is there a Kill -8, too?

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Tue Oct 12 17:37:13 EST 1999

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Amanda Knox wrote:

> > Did you try 'kill pid' or 'kill -9 pid'? 'kill -9' should bring down
> > anything.

> Why is it '-9' exactly? Are there different kill levels or something? What if
> I typed 'Kill -1'? Just curious, and I doubt I would have the know-how to
> find that exact answer in the man pages ;)

       Signal     Value     Action   Comment

       SIGHUP        1        A      Hangup detected on controlling
terminal
                                     or death of controlling process
       SIGINT        2        A      Interrupt from keyboard
       SIGQUIT       3        A      Quit from keyboard
       SIGILL        4        A      Illegal Instruction
       SIGABRT       6        C      Abort signal from abort(3)
       SIGFPE        8        C      Floating point exception
       SIGKILL       9       AEF     Kill signal
       SIGSEGV      11        C      Invalid memory reference
       SIGPIPE      13        A      Broken pipe: write to pipe with no
readers
       SIGALRM      14        A      Timer signal from alarm(2)
       SIGTERM      15        A      Termination signal
       SIGUSR1   30,10,16     A      User-defined signal 1
       SIGUSR2   31,12,17     A      User-defined signal 2
       SIGCHLD   20,17,18     B      Child stopped or terminated
       SIGCONT   19,18,25            Continue if stopped
       SIGSTOP   17,19,23    DEF     Stop process
       SIGTSTP   18,20,24     D      Stop typed at tty
       SIGTTIN   21,21,26     D      tty input for background process
       SIGTTOU   22,22,27     D      tty output for background process

(this is from signal(7) man page)

as you can see, 1 is a hangup (restarts the process in most cases), 9 is
an outright kill, and 6 is an abort. there are many others, that can be
found and described with man 7 signal.

-Ian (friendly neighbourhood guide)

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,