[techtalk] upgrading to Netscape 4.7

Caitlyn Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Tue Oct 12 17:29:52 EST 1999

Hi, Joann,

> I could use some advice here please. I am feeling brave tonight. (reading
> this mailgroup is building my confidence-you are all great!)
>
> I have Linux Mandrake 6.0 and it has Netscape Comm. 4.6
> I want to put on NC 4.7.
> I have downloaded the 70 MB linux netscape file and it is in tar format.

I know it's duplicate work, but Mandrake is built based on Red Hat.  If you
like using GnoRPM or KPackage to track your software packages, you might
want to download the 4.7 RPMs from ftp://updates.redhat.com

> Q:
> 1. Should I remove the ver 4.6 first, and if so how step by step please.

Yes!  Are you most comfortable with RPM at the command line, GnoRPM, or
KPackage?  The step by step instructions would depend on which tool you like
to use.  I can walk you through any of the above, and they are all simple,
really two steps, one to delete the Netscape-Communicator-461 RPM and
another to delete the Netscape-Common-461 RPM.

> 2. Or should I just -xvf filename and let 'er rip! If I have to reset my
> preferences, it is not too bad a job, as I do not have much in there at
this
> time.

You'd end up with two installed copies, one for each version.  If you are a
professional web designer, this may be a good thing.  However, if you typed
"netscape" at the command line or clicked on your existing icon, you'll go
to 4.6.1, since that's in the default place for Mandrake/Red Hat, while your
install script from Netscape will put it in a folder of your choice.  The
RPM distributes the files, so they aren't in one place.

If you want just one copy, though, do the deletion first

Regards,
Caity
(who likes KPackage, but isn't afraid of the command line :)