[techtalk] Re: virtual terminals (fwd)

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 12 15:08:29 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 12-Oct-99 Re: [techtalk] Re: virtual .. by
Jennifer at gate.net
> I doubt much if they are console logins. I can open 35 terminals in X before
> my memory starts hurting.

Hm.. looks like here agetty takes 840k, and X has 8M at the moment.  So,
thats 40*.84 + 3*8 = 57.60M.  Hm.. guess it wouldn't be a problem if you
have a lot of memory (and most of these probably would be swapped out.
guess there is a reason to have multiple swap partitions :)).  I guess I
just remeber recompiling the kernel on my 8M machine to use 3 vcs
instead of 6 (as well as wondering what would happen if I killed syslogd
to save its 1M...whee.. low memory).