[techtalk] KDE vs Gnome

Beverly Guillermo bguill at home.com
Tue Oct 12 09:39:58 EST 1999

You have it your setup to enter X automatically, so you're running
at runlevel 5, rather then runlevel 3.  Runlevel 3 is the usual
initialization of Linux that brings you to the console login.
Check your /etc/inittab for what its saying and edit it to use 3
if you want the console first rather then X.

If you want to run any windowmanager without booting directly into
X, you have to create .xinitrc file in your home directory.  In
that file, you want to put 'exec <windowmanager execuatable>' and
it'll start up when you enter startx.  If you don't have an .xinitrc
already available, there is probably a global file defined somewhere
on your system.  The global file is called something like xinitrc
or Xdefaults or something like that and usually they're in /etc/X11.

Beverly