[techtalk] request for ideas

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Mon Oct 11 20:40:33 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:11:19 -0700 (PDT), R Pickett <emerson at hayseed.net> said:

>Indeed; I was just trying to respond to the allegation that typing
>'dir a:' would fubar a disk after a disk change.

In theory it could _if_ the driver is using write caching.  What could
in theory happen is a sector which is in the write cache when the disk
is changed will get written to the new disk, clobbering whatever was
there before.  Since, AFAIK, DOS doesn't do write caching on removable
media, this can't happen.  It _can_ happen in Linux (because Linux
does write caching on all devices).  Moral: always sync your disks.

Kelly