[techtalk] request for ideas

Just This Girl archmage at gte.net
Mon Oct 11 14:58:51 EST 1999

No, the disk would not automatically execute, but if you allow Linux to
boot up off of floppy, and someone else sticks their floppy in that
drive then hard-reboots the computer, you have an issue.

Also, who the hell knows what is on that floppy disk that could
contaminate or crack your system? If you allow it to automount, you are
taking a risk that there is a program on that disk designed to exploit
security holes which the user can now execute as the floppy has been
mounted.

Ideally, for the paranoid of us, one would set their bios to boot off
the harddrive only, password-protect bios, and continue to leave
mount/umount of the floppy device solely under the control of root.

--
O    .--.     Give me some Slack!
 o. |o_o |
   //   \ \   archmage at gte.net