[techtalk] request for ideas

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Oct 11 12:30:28 EST 1999

On Oct 11, Deidre L. Calarco conjectured:

> > For example:  ME: "You have to mount the disk before you can read it."
> > HE:  "Huh?  Mount?  What is mount?  It's already in the drive!"
> > "Recompile the kernel?  I don't want popcorn right now!"
> > "The scheduler?  My calendar thingy on my Palm Pilot is good enough for me!"
> > "Cron?  Oh, you mean Tron, the guy that lived inside the computer!"
> > "Why do I need a driver?  I can drive, as long as it's an automatic."
>
> Somebody with those kinds of questions probably shouldn't be messing around
> with Linix, IMHO (and I say that as probably one of the least Unix-savvy
> people here).  On the other hand, maybe some good documentation could change
> that...

Um... I have no idea what mounting does, and I didn't know it had to be
done until I tried to get some files from my cd rom.  Luckily for me, my
friend (who set me up with linux in the first place when i got fed up with
win98) doesn't think that people like me shouldn't be messing around with
linux.

Conni
certainly not as good with unices as many of the folks on this list, but
not a moron, either.

--
First we go to Three Mile Island, then Chernobyl.  It's the Nuclear
Catastrophe Tour!

http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Gulf/5817/