[techtalk] request for ideas

Deidre L. Calarco dee at robertdarvas.com
Mon Oct 11 09:12:01 EST 1999

>>All suggestions, comments, ideas are appreciated.
>
> It's been a long time since I was a new Linux user, and I was a
> previous Unix user at that point, but I'll try to remember what
> problems I had (I do remember struggling endlessly with LILO to get it
> to recognize my hard drive, but I think that's no longer a
> problem...).
>
> I'd be glad to help to the extent that I can.
>
> Kelly

I think that Linix boxes get used as servers a lot.  When I started using
Linix, I had experience as a user on a Unix system (knew e-mail and how to
get around the directory system) and - long ago - as a programmer on DOS.  I
found that the Users guide didn't have a lot of the information I needed,
but the sysadmin / network admin guides were a little over my head.

All my (and a lot of peoples') recent experience is with Windows and Mac OS.
It might be helpful to explain how the Linix system works, how it deals with
new hardware, how to set up simple scripts, where things are located and
what they do.  Also, it might be helpful to some people if you used some
metaphors from other operating systems.

Deidre  Calarco
Robert Darvas Associates
(734) 761-8713 (ext. 16)