[techtalk] Upgrades (and KDE problem) under Red Hat 6.0

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Sun Oct 10 15:48:21 EST 1999

Hi, Karl-Heinz,

> Thanks!
> My parents are visiting us for seeing our second son (now 8 weeks old)
> and we all are having a great time!  :-)

Wonderful!

> [KDE 1.1.2]
>
> I am not sure if this will  help you,
> but let's try it anyway:
>
> Open the file
>
> /opt/kde/bin/startkde

FWIW, in Red Hat 6.0. it is located in /usr/bin

> and remove the comment symbols ("#") at the
> very begining of this two lines:
>
> # startifthere kaudioserver
> # startifthere kwmsound

The Red Hat startkde file if different.  Here is what I have:

----

# Start the common desktop tools in the background.
# The sleeps reduce disk usage during startup.
# kaudioserver will put itself in the background automagically.

# Only start up sound services if there is a soundcard configured.
. /etc/sysconfig/sound
if [ "$CARDTYPE" != "" ]; then
  sleep 1 ; kaudioserver
  (sleep 1 && exec kwmsound) &
fi

----

As you can see, nothing is commented out.  In Red Hat 6.0 there is no such
file as /etc/sysconfig/sound.  It's /etc/sysconfig/soundcard, and I did make
that change in my startkde file.  It didn't fix the problem.

This isn't a big thing, and I can probably live with it until I upgrade to
6.1.  Moral of the story:  don't mix RPMs from different versions.

Of course, I am still open to suggestions  :)

Regards,
Caity