[techtalk] request for ideas

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 10 03:04:19 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 9-Oct-99 Re: [techtalk] request for .. by
"erica raspberry"@sedona
> How about how to save a file to a floppy disk?

Use mtools.  It's easier than mounting stuff, and most likely you won't
mind using a dos formatted floppy.

> I downloaded a file the other day...and I had no clue as to how to save it
> to a disk...I know the floppy was mounted (and do you have to do that
> everytime you reboot?...another question.)

You need to mount/unmount something whenever you "change" it.  In the
case of hard drives, they are automatically mounted on startup (look in
/etc/fstab), because you can't really change the media in your hard
drive.  In the case of floppies and cdroms, you can change it, so you
have to do it yourself (This also means that generally, you should
unmount something before taking it out, and mount something after
putting it in.)