[techtalk] Overview of the directory tree (was: Re: [grrltalk] request for ideas)

Deb Richardson deb at thepuffingroup.com
Sat Oct 9 23:36:12 EST 1999

> Whether this is covered elsewhere, I don't know, since I haven't actually
> looked for it yet, but I think that an explanation of the directory
> structure, including what should (and shouldn't) go in each directory,
> where things can be found on a typical system, etc., would be terribly
> helpful.

Lars Wirzenius wrote a rather good Linux System Administrator guide
that includes this information.

Here's the link to the Guide TOC:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/index.html

And the link to the specific page about the directory tree:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/c212.html

The Linux SAG is part of the LDP, last updated in 1998.

- deb