[techtalk] Fwd: WinLinux2000

Mike and Mary Anne Cox mnmcox at sprynet.com
Fri Oct 8 23:28:34 EST 1999

Hi all,

I've actually not been near this computer since this morning.  I'm taking
my temperature as we speak.  Anyway, I was just going through all of my
email and I received some feedback from a very good friend of mine who
installed the WinLinux2000 which I had mentioned earlier this week.

I wanted to share his feedback about the d/l, install/ and program
itself.  I also wanted to ask what may sound like a strange
question.  Based on my friend's description, it sounds like the entire
installation process is point and click (as it advertised).  That's a good
idea; but I'm debating whether to go that route even though a) I cannot get
my modem configured no matter what, have tried everything from pnptools to
pci utilities, b) it looks like I have to add a module to my kernel in
order to install OSS, which I've never done before.

The obvious decision would be to just take what appears to be the easy
route, but if I do that, then I haven't really learned anything from the
experience, have I?

I'm getting another modem that I should be able to get configured this
weekend probably.  If you had to choose between manual and WinLinux 2000
install, which would you choose, and if you don't mind my asking why?

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone!

>Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 22:34:26 -0700
>To: mnmcox at sprynet.com
>Subject: WinLinux2000
>
>MAN!!  I downloaded the 140+M file (in 15 min. w/cable modem!), had it
>installed w/printer and monitor (set to24 bit color depth) in another 15
>min.!
>     It's a stripped-down, REAL linux, with the kde desktop.  It boots
>with loadlin from windoze, and you just restart your computer to go back
>to windoze.  It has a quick plug-n-play interface to set up, and can
>also configure a modem that way.
>     I give it two thumbs up!  Thanks!  I think I'm gonna try to
>bastardize the loadlin (mine didn't work out...) to boot my SuSE.
>
>Thanks again  C-ya!
>Mark

Mary Anne Cox
http://www.homestead.com/2muchtime/index.html

"...to start, press any key.  Hmmmm....now, exactly where IS the 'any' key?"