[techtalk] bizarre kde problem

Wendt,Andrew awendt at neo.rr.com
Sat Oct 9 01:02:41 EST 1999

On Fri, 08 Oct 1999, you wrote:
>I can't get the menu or panel to launch anything anymore. I completely
>uninstalled and upgraded KDE and it still doesn't work.

If you switch back to the console you started X from after trying to start a
program, are there any informative error messages there? I've confused kfm
enough that it won't start programs, and it complains there.

For me it also leaves a .X.err file in my home directory with the console
output of X programs...

Are you able to launch programs from the alt-f2 command prompt or an X
terminal?

When you uninstalled and upgraded KDE, did you get rid of your ~/.kderc file
or ~/.kde directory? Perhaps you could try renaming those temporarily and see
if it helps...

TTFN