[techtalk] Building ADSL - LAN

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Fri Oct 8 09:27:48 EST 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Just This Girl wrote:

> ifconfig eth0 xxx.yyy.zzz.242
>
> it automatically inserts this into the route table:
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> xxx.yyy.zzz.240 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.248 U     0      0        0
> eth0
>
> Note the gateway. I want xxx.yyy.zzz.242 as the gateway, NOT 0.0.0.0,
> but it will not let me delete this route to readd it. This is the error
> I get:

This is simply a net route for your little chunk of IP space. You also
want to add a *default* route that goes to .246.

> bash# route del -net xxx.yyy.zzz.240
> SIOCDELRT: Invalid argument

remove the -net and you'll be fine. -net is only a parameter for adding
routes. Deleting them just requires you to tell it the destination to
remove.

-Ian

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,