[techtalk] Sun/Oracle/ODBC pitfalls

Greg Mader gmader at geoanalytics.com
Thu Oct 7 16:08:22 EST 1999

Kris,

I build a medium volume web app, using IIS on the front, Cold Fusion in the
middle, using ODBC, and Oracle on a DEC alpha box.  It was really reliable,
and fast enough for our T-1. ODBC is really just SQL calls to the database,
so yes, it is single threaded, but you can run lots of them at the same
time, hitting the DB. I think that your solution would work just fine.
(although I really like the DEC, now COMPAQ alphas, and Tru64 Unix. Very
sweet!)

Greg

At 03:23 PM 10/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>We're building an enterprise sun system (perhaps an e450 perhaps an e4500)
to support a complicated e-commerce application.

>It seems pretty clear that no one will fault you if you recommend a
Sun/Oracle architecture.  But the programmers are MS ASP programmers and
they will connect to the dB using ODBC.  From what I've read here this
could be bad.  I've also read that ODBC is single threaded.

>You guys represent a plethora of information.  Would you be kind enough to
point out the pitfalls I may be facing?  Is there another protocol I should
investigate?  If the programmers write Java is there another better
protocol or am I still stuck with the ODBC bottle neck?