[techtalk] Building ADSL - LAN

Richard H. Fifarek rfifarek at som.siu.edu
Wed Oct 6 15:47:46 EST 1999

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Just This Girl wrote:

> Here is a diagram of my LAN. ~ = twisted pair.
>
> (Internet) <-> (Alcatel 1000) <-> (Eth0 <-> Eth1) <~> (Windows)

	If you are trying to connect all the machines to the ADSL line
WITHOUT using IP Masq then you need to place a network hub in the mix.
Using your above example, connect the Alcatel 1000 (I presume this is the
ADSL modem), Eth0 and the Windows NIC to the network hub, assign IP addrs
to the Linux Box and the Windows box, point the gateway at
xxx.xxx.xxx.246, and all SHOULD be happy.  (As an aside note, ADSL being a
new technology, doesn't always get setup properly by the Phone CO/ISP so
if you think you are doing everything right, you might be, and somebody
else may have screwed up.)

> problem. It's getting Linux to communicate.

	If booting into Windows gets you connected to the outside world,
then it sounds like the routing/network configuration isn't getting setup
properly (or possibly the network card isn't playing nice with Linux, but
you seemed to indicate otherwise).  Run ifconfig, or route -n. Those will
help you in debugging the connection.

(ifconfig will tell you how the network card is configured, if at all,
route -n will tell you if it has the gateway setup properly.)

	Hope this helps!

		Richard H. Fifarek	SIU School of Medicine
		rfifarek at som.siu.edu	Information Resources