[techtalk] Building ADSL - LAN

Just This Girl archmage at gte.net
Wed Oct 6 13:41:32 EST 1999

I have been trying to find a source of detailed instructions on setting
up a small home LAN attached to the Internet through ADSL.

I have read the ADSL Mini How-To, but its examples did not seem to
clearly apply to my situation. I am, admittedly, new to the LAN/network
game. I have successfully installed my ethernet cards with the help of
the Ethernet How-To.

Here is a diagram of my LAN. ~ = twisted pair.

(Internet) <-> (Alcatel 1000) <-> (Eth0 <-> Eth1) <~> (Windows)

I can communicate with the ANT when I boot Windows on the Linux box.
(The ANT came with instructions for a Windows setup, and of course none
for Linux. *smirk*). I can configure my ANT that way, but that's not my
problem. It's getting Linux to communicate.

I am running Slackware 4.0 on the Linux box. I want to be able to run a
web server and a MUSH off of the box, so using private network numbers
is not an option, except possibly between Eth1 and Windows. Since this
list is publically archived, I have used xxx for the first three octets
for my own security. I -do- plan to firewall, but that is an issue I
will tackle once I already have the lan connected. I did find a site
very helpful in generating the firewall I needed: http://www.swbell.net/

I have a /28, with xxx.xxx.xxx.241-245 available to me, a netmask of
255.255.255.248, and the gateway given me by the ISP is xxx.xxx.xxx.246

If there is anyone who has used this sort of setup or knows where a
guide is on it out there in Internet Land, I would appreciate the
assistance. I went and bought the Linux Network Administrators' Guide
from O'Reilly, but to my horror discovered that it hasn't been updated
since 1995!!!

--
O    .--.     Give me some Slack!
 o. |o_o |