[techtalk] parallel zip drive

Amos Hayes ahayes at polkaroo.net
Tue Oct 5 22:46:24 EST 1999

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Deb Bassett wrote:

> Has anyone had trouble with the configuration for a zip drive under
> Linux??
>
> I followed the howtos but still haven't sorted it. The problem seems to
> be that kernel does not recognise sda4 as a block device. Any ideas???
> maybe I missed something.... :)

Can you give me a few details on what sort of zip drive (scsi, ide,
parallel) and what version of what distribution you are running? I know it
sounds like a dumb question since you've mentioned sda4 (scsi) but I
believe the other available formats also make use of SCSI even if only in
emulation.

In previous experience with an internal scsi zip drive, I had to recompile
the kernel to support SCSI disks and build in support for the scsi card
that came with my zip drive (an adaptec 1520). Then I had to pass the
adaptec parameters to the kernel on boot for it to find the card and the
scsi devices attached. Then it was just a matter of mounting the disk
and/or playing with /etc/fstab.

I'm sure the scsi howto and zip mini-howto go through this. If you can
explain what you have, what you have done already, and where you hit the
problem, I can try to help.

BTW, I recently installed Linux Mandrake 6.1. I answered yes to scsi
during install and it put an icon (not a very nice one... but I was able
to change that) on my KDE desktop for the zip disk. I was reasonably
impressed. :)

--
Amos Hayes
ahayes at polkaroo.net