[techtalk] C++ or Is It GCC or is it g++?

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 4 16:33:54 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 4-Oct-99 [techtalk] C++ or Is It GCC.. by
MGreen at visionol.net
> I'm running Caldera 2.2 at home and discovered that it doesn't have
> C++ (or mcedit - which I happen to like - but that's another topic).

Are you sure?  The caldera web page claims to include egcs which is both
a c and c++ compiler.  (Do you have a c compiler?)

If you don't, you can probably get it from your install cd.

IMO, every linux distribution should install gcc/egcs by default, since
a) lots of linux software is distributed in source form, b) if the
package management system breaks, you might have to compile something c)
it's annoying to get a compiler if you don't already have one, since
compilers are distributed in source form d) gcc is free, e) gcc is
smaller than, for example, wordperfect.

(actually, it's probably possible for a debian user to survive without
gcc, since the packaging system doesn't break unless you mess with it,
or install unofficial packages..)

> For example
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/ has a lot of stuff listed and I don't know
> what I should download!

If you don't already have a compiler, you don't want any of those, as
they are source code, which is useless do you if you don't already have
a compiler.  I'm assuming caldera doesn't have a packaging system.  If
it does, figure out how to use that, if not, look for it on the cd.