[techtalk] Library standardization?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Oct 1 11:24:55 EST 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Beverly Guillermo wrote:

> > Sooo... :)
> > Has there been any thought to making sense of the kazillions of
> > libraries? Maybe putting some of the features together into larger
> > libraries, or releasing the standard and development ones together? I
> > know this probably sounds really simplistic, but I don't know my apples
> > from my oranges yet :P
>
> I recommend running Debian because of the package manager.  It makes
> it simple to upgrade packages.  However, if you want to know more about
> it, installing the packages in the tarball format and trying to keep up is
> excellent (and frustating =) experience.

One can have the best of both worlds, if one gets the software as tarballs
and produces her/his own packages, be it with the Debian system or with
RPM (which I'm more familiar with as you've guessed from my .sig). This
gives dependancy tracking as well as compiling the stuff by oneself.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de