[techtalk] mail command (fwd)

Cat cschmitt at polaris.umuc.edu
Fri Oct 1 02:36:37 EST 1999

Sorry if this gets to the list twice.  I got a mysterious bounced message,
and I'm not sure if it referred to this message (the body was not
included).

Hi Lynne --

Your initial interpretation of my problem was correct.  I do have some
questions about the output:

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
rewrite: ruleset  3   input: username @ at . cis . hostname . com
rewrite: ruleset  9   input: username @ @ . cis . hostname . com
rewrite: ruleset  9 returns: username @ @ . cis . hostname . com
rewrite: ruleset  6   input: username @ < @ . cis . hostname . com >
rewrite: ruleset  6 returns: username @ < @ . cis . hostname . com >
rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: username @ < @ . cis . hostname . com >
rewrite: ruleset  0   input: username @ < @ . cis . hostname . com >
rewrite: ruleset  3   input: username @ @ . cis . hostname . com
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: $# tcp $@ . cis . hostname . com $: username
@ @ . cis . hostname . com

>From this it looks like ruleset 9 is invoked within ruleset 3, and that
the change from at to @ occurs before that invocation (and therefore in
ruleset 3).  I'm not sure how many of the lines that follow the first two
are just a direct result of the initial transformation.

Now, I checked out my sendmail.cf file to see if I could find these
rulesets, and I found the following section:

# basic textual canonicalization
R$*<$*<$*<$+>$*>$*>$*   $4                        3-level <> nesting
R$*<$*<$+>$*>$*         $3                        2-level <> nesting
R$*<$+>$*               $2                        basic RFC821/822 parsing
R$+ at $+               $1@$2                     "at" -> "@" for RFC 822A
R$*<$*>$*               $1$2$3                    in case recursive

>From this I assume that I need to change something about the line that
says it will change @ to "at", right?  What does RFC 822A mean, though?
Also, I looked in the sendmail.src file, and this same text appears there
as well.  Which file would I have to change?  And after that?  (I bet
you're glad you offered to help ;-).

Thank you so much.  You have already shed tons of light on the subject for
me.

Thanks.
Cat

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Lynne Wander wrote:

> you can try running sendmail -bt, which will put you into ruletesting mode,
> and then typing in 3,0 username at at.cis.hostname.com, which will show you
> the address rewrites as sendmail goes through the rulesets and deals with
> the address.
>
> that will let you know where the translation is being made.
>
> if you need help with the output, let me know.
>
> if your question is not "why is the at being translated into an @ sign?",
> but actually something else like, "how do I make the address appear to come
> from username at hostname.com? isntead of username at at.cis.hostname.com?", let
> me know, and i will help you with that as well.
>
> Lynne

 The plural of anecdote is not data.