[techtalk] using ppp as non root user

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Nov 19 01:36:34 EST 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Matthias Holschneider wrote:

> After successful installation of the ppp software and my modem I am faced
> with the following problem: I want to open the ppp connection as a non
> root user and use internet programs like netscape, telnet, ftp ... .
> For the moment I have two possibilities to do so.
[snip]
> I would like to be able to lance as normal user some script that does all
> the dialing in for me and sets up the ppp connection readt to use some
> internet applications. In particular I do not want to communicate my login
> and password for the ppp server to all normal users.

I don't know which distro you have, but with Red Hat Linux 6.1, there's
the usermode/rp3/wvdial combo which does just that what you want. And it's
got a nice panel applet, too :-)

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de