[techtalk] Install from floppies

Amanda Owens amowens at radonc.duke.edu
Thu Nov 18 08:48:31 EST 1999

If I remember correctly, Slackware also actually still distributes its
downloads in a floppy-esque manner. I know that for the last (pre-7.0)
distribution, my husband spent hours downloading disks.

Checking out metalab's ftp site
(ftp://ftp.metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/slakware/)
it looks like the a- series and n- series are indeed broken to fit on
floppies. And I *think* that those are basically all you need to
install the basic system with networking - you should be able to then
download the rest of the packages and install them without any real problems.

HTH.
Mur!