[techtalk] Tar file splitting

coder coderman at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 17 05:28:42 EST 1999

No problem, we only charge $5 for newbie questionz  ;)

you could use split.  man split for more detailz (of course)

Ex:

split -b 1024k big_file.tar little_file_prefix

If you big file was 10 meg, then 10 little files with the prefix of
'little_file_prefix' would be generated.  The sequence at the end of the
prefix designates the order of each 1 megabyte block when reassmebling.

To peice back together, simply cat each peice into the previous one
using the append >>.

Ex:

cat foo_aa >> foo.tar;
cat foo_ab >> foo.tar;
cat foo_ac >> foo.tar;

ad infinitum.  Obviously a script to do this would be usefull, however I
dont have one at my disposal, and writing code after 4am violates some
law of nature...  ;)

hope this helps.