[techtalk] Free Purify equivalent?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Nov 15 20:40:25 EST 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Cathy James wrote:

> 	Is anyone aware of a freeware equivalent of
> Purify -- that is, a tool to check for array
> access out of bounds, memory leaks, and so forth?
> Are there some gcc/gld options I don't know
> about to handle this?
>
> 	This is such an obvious software development
> need that I figure someone must surely have
> addressed it by now.

Try memprof (http://people.redhat.com/~otaylor/memprof/), it just checks
for mem leaks (i.e. no array out of bounds etc.). It does this by running
your app from memprof and checking which mem areas get allocated and not
freed (I think). It's got a nice UI and shows you were memory got
allocated which didn't get freed afterwards (along with function names and
line numbers, if compiled with debugging symbols).

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de