[techtalk] more netscape woes...

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Thu Nov 11 19:01:57 EST 1999

Laurel Fan wrote:

> bash is annoying in that way. From the manpage:

<snip>

> Which means it runs EITHER .profile (if its a login shell) OR .bashrc
> (if its not).  Which is annoying.  (Of course, you could put a "source
> .bashrc" in your profile.). csh does it the right way: .login and .cshrc
> (actually, /etc/.login then .cshrc then .login) for login shells, and
> just .cshrc for non-login shells.

Ugh. I figured it had to be some stupid technicality... so if I was to
put it in /etc/profile and restart X (logging out to have it re-read the
files anyway), it'd read it. But, if I spawn netscape from an xterm, it
won't work the same way and I'd need to have it in /etc/bashrc.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I'd switch to csh except that I think bash is a bit more to my liking
;o)

-nicole