[techtalk] netscape woes

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Nov 10 09:47:47 EST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Erin Clarke wrote:

> Running RH6.0 on P166 64MB RAM, KDE, NSBrowser using ~23mb, NSMail&News
> using ~16mb (after a recent reboot, this will increase over the next
> week...)
>
> I've been using Netscape 4.6 (yes, yes, I should update it) w KDE (yes,
> yes, its not GPL, I know, I thought I'd try it anyway, reverting to
> GNOME sometime in the not-too-distant future) and, indeed, I have
> noticed memory leakage that seems resolved only upon rebooting (which
> ends up happening about once/week), since merely closing Netscape
> doesn't always free up the memory its been using and eventually
It _does_ free up all memory it uses. What are you seeing as a sign that
not all memory gets freed? If a process dies, it's up to the kernel to
free up its memory pages (and use it for something else), if it weren't
doing that properly, no one would use Linux for serious stuff (and I don't
mean Netscape). Reboots are for hardware and kernel (though that may be
solved sometime in the future) upgrades.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de