[techtalk] swtiching rhat drives . . .

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Nov 10 09:51:17 EST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Jeff Dike wrote:

> > ---8<--- snip ---
> > root at wombat:/tmp> ls -l /dev/mem
> > crw-r-----   1 root    kmem       1,   1 May  5  1998 /dev/mem
> > root at wombat:/tmp> cp -a /dev/mem .
> > root at wombat:/tmp> ls -l mem
> > crw-r-----   1 root     kmem       1,   1 May  5  1998 mem
>
> Mea culpa.  I actually did try it, but only after I sent that mail.  And I
> actually didn't like the results.  My machine hung.  I took that as evidence
> that something other than a mknod was happening.

What switches where you using for cp? It _only_ works with '-a' all others
('-dpf' for example) copy "byte by byte" and thus fill your disk :-).

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de