[techtalk] pppd problems using kppp/RH6.0

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat Nov 6 04:55:49 EST 1999

"Becky L. Norum" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Nils.
>
> I think I know what the problem is.  I have set up an ethernet card on the
> computer because we have a network printer.  BUT, to connect to the
> internet, I use a modem.  So, I think that when I try to connect to my
> provider, the provider gets confused as to what ip address to use, even
> though I have set dynamic ip addressing in the ppp settings.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of how to set up two different
> network settings, one for use with the printer and one for use with the
> modem?  I've scanned a number of FAQs but maybe I'm just missing
> something.. like a keyword to look for.

Check your ifconfig and your routing table (I shouldn't be answering
this right now, I'm low on caffiene and high on sleepy-toxins).

You want to set your gateway address to your ISP, and to inform your
route table that that's using your modem's port NOT your ethernet
port.
You probably want to set IP forwarding off - if the only other address
on your ethernet is your printer, you only want yourself to use it.
You need to assign your printer as a specific address on your network,
and to tell your ifconfig that the printer is accessible via the
ethernet port.

'ifconfig' and 'route' are likely to be your main commands there.
man entries should provide your answers, or a search for HOWTOs or
LDP entries on those topics.

I'm too sleepful to provide exact answers right now, sorry.

Jenn V.

(Note to non-English speakers: Sleepful is a coined word. While
most of us are using correct English-as-it-is-spoken, geeks do
have a tendancy to form words as we deem appropriate. I'll try
to remember to note this when I do it, but I won't always.
The proper way to figure out what these coined words mean is to
look at prefixes and suffixes: '-ful' forms an adjective, for
instance, and makes 'sleepful' mean 'full of sleep' or 'inclined
to sleep'. Thank you for bearing with those of us who play with
our language.)
--
  Humans are the only species to feed and house entirely separate species
     for no reason other than the pleasure of their company. Why?

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman        http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/