[techtalk] cheap shell/web accounts?

Gail Allinson gailla at jps.net
Fri Nov 5 12:29:29 EST 1999

srl wrote:

> so, i'm looking for a new shell access provider.
>
> I've taken a gander at he.net, and they seem okay, but i thought i'd put
> this one out there. Where can I find any/all of the following in a shell
> account for cheap, preferably under $15/mo?
>
> -virtual domain hosting for a smallish personal site
> -mySQL
> -PHP
> -mod_perl
> -gcc/g++/javac (not essential, but would be nice)
> -support for Zope, either user-installed or system-installed, in place of
>  Apache on port 80
> -a few mailboxes- i prefer IMAP, but POP3 will do

For some of the above listed, check out http://www.hostway.com/

You can get a shell account (you can use ssh or telnet to access it)
with perl, mySQL, virtual domain, and POP3 hosted on Linux/Apache for
less than $15 per month.  I know you get pine, lynx and anonymous FTP
-- there may be more but that is all that I use on that account.

I've used them for over a year now and have been happy with the service.

Gail