[techtalk] sharing a newly installed HD...

Marie Fischer fmarie at eau.ee
Tue Nov 2 14:25:21 EST 1999

Hi!

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Walt wrote:

> But when I mount them to directories, like:
> /dev/sdd1 /home/working/a-m
>
> where /home/working is a samba and appletalk share, none of
> the clients have write access. Also, I have the directories chowned
> to the the client's group, but ownership changes as soon as I mount
> the drive.
I seem to remember that ownership and permissions for mounted
partitions can be changed in /etc/fstab. I have
/dev/hda1       /win            vfat    defaults,uid=500,umask=022 1 2
in there, so that the windoze partition owned by uid 500 (yeah,
that's me) after mounting and permissions are 755.
For you it would be a bit different (gid instead of uid, different
numbers), mount(8) and fstab(5) should be helpful.

And yes, you don't have to put those options into /etc/fstab, you can just
write mount -o <options>

Hope it helps

marie
<Marie.Fischer at mail.ee>