[techtalk] Filename star

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu Dec 30 14:50:34 EST 1999

>I guess it is time to implement the 'wastebasket' idea on linux users $HOME.

I think not - but if you want to, and know a little shell programming, you can do it in an easy way:

either write a shell function or an alias:

alias rem='mv $HOME/.trash'

and if you want to "empty" your trash, you'd just rm all stuff in $HOME/.trash.

If you want to use the name "rm" for this, you'd either differentiate between being in $HOME/.trash or unalias it and alias it again afterwards.

And, of course, you could use KDE / GNOME with a trash icon...

Britta