[techtalk] Generic Question

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Tue Dec 28 12:00:06 EST 1999

Tech Docs wrote:

> How long does it take an average person to become a good systems and network
> administrator in Linux?
>
> The irony is that I have got a job on Linux and I know nothing about it :-)
> I tried explaining this to the recruiter but he says he does not find any
> other hands and left with no other choice :-)

There's a major shortage of good personell in all computing fields -
especially the truly technical.

> I have just started off learning something on Linux. Any clues as to where I
> start, how I start, hours of work the experts here have put in to to reach
> that kind of techno. status?

To be able to manage a system on my own: reading a good book on
it (eg, one of the O'Rielly's) and having it to hand.

To be a /good/ Unix person - to reach semi-guru status? A year
or three. To reach guru status? Well, several years ago I was
awarded that accolade by other local gurus. But I got sick,
lost access to the machines, and got all rusty. I can knock the
rust off, probably, but I expect it to take me a year or so to
get up-to-date and pick up where I was.

Your main tools, other than a good book on Linux administration
(and you're entitled to demand a good small library on it from
your employer!), include 'man -k' and top.  Ping and traceroute
and tracepath if you're networking (don't forget netstat,
ifconfig and route!).

A Unix system is designed from the ground up to be a multiuser
system. This makes its core design quite different from basically
single-user OSs. Exactly how is probably beyond the scope of a
single email!

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn