[techtalk] kernel compilation

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Tue Dec 21 17:15:26 EST 1999

> I can't find it spelled out plainly anywhere.  Anyway, I want to:
> 1)  load the kernel onto a floppy so I can make sure linux will boot
> with the new kernal 2)  backup the old kernal 3)  install the new
> kernal

You shouldn't need the floppy.  When you build your new kernel, just make sure
it has a different version than your booting kernel (use EXTRAVERSION if
necessary).  Put an entry in lilo.conf for the new kernel, and run make zlilo.

You will have both kernels in /boot after this, and if the new one isn't any
good, you just boot up the old one.

				Jeff