[techtalk] UUCP, was: POP mail

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Dec 16 18:50:47 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Cathy James wrote:

> >On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Laurel Fan wrote:
> >>I'm sure there's still some uucp or bbs mail systems out there..
>
> >Yes, here.
>
> I ran UUCP for years on Linux.  It works fine.  Unless you need
> SLIP/PPP capability, there's little reason to upgrade.

UUCP over TCP works just fine in that case :-) The only thing that bogs me
is that it's unencrypted. But in my special case there is only one hop
between the dialin server and the UUCP server (over ATM to a switched
Ether port) -- and I don't send or receive sensitive things via email.

But POP/IMAP have the same issues (unless the SSL variants are used).

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de