[techtalk] UUCP, was: POP mail

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Dec 16 16:16:32 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Laurel Fan wrote:

> [1] I'm sure there's still some uucp or bbs mail systems out there..

Yes, here. And it makes perfect sense to use UUCP on Linux instead of POP.
With UUCP I have "my own" mail domain and can setup any number of accounts
if I wish. If there are mails addressed to more than one person on this
system, it will get transmitted only once (if there are no flaky MTAs in
between), e.g. mailing lists, etc. And this is a must with our
quasimonopolistic telco that still charges for the minute (actually it's
1.5 minutes) on local calls.

Anyway when I'm out of college I'm gonna have to find a provider that lets
me do UUCP instead of POP/IMAP.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de