[techtalk] winmodem sound driver

Ian Phillips ianp at tibco.com
Tue Dec 14 16:46:53 EST 1999

> A real waste of processor cycles?? How so?? you make it sound as if
> running a driver for a winmodem is not a good thing to do, could you
> please explain?

I suspect that this was meant to disparage winmodems, not the Linux drivers. I tend to agree, since the cost savings aren't that much anyway it makes sense to me to spend the extra on a "real" modem and not have to thrash your CPU every time you need to go online, although I haven't looked at any performance figures for winmodems I imagine the CPU hit would be quite high.

Yours,
Ian.

#ifndef  __COMMON_SENSE__ | Ian Phillips
#include <std_disclaimer> | TIBCO Software Inc.
#endif                    | www.TIBCO.com