[techtalk] bizarre....

Cynthia Dale silly at redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 23:03:22 EST 1999

The same idea works with CD-ROMs, so you can use RPM binaries from a
CD-ROM.

A tool I like to play around with is Trinux, which is actually a very
small Linux OS.  (www.trinux.org)

It's basically a kernel and a few tools like netstat and stuff, but the
lovely thing about it is that you can add whatever you like to it.  The
bus on my daughter's machine was fried, and for a while we just used 3
Trinux disks as her OS.  (:  But anyhow, you don't have to boot your
system to go in and take a look at it, so anything that might be scheduled
to run, or any kind of trojanned binary on the system won't be able to do
damage, as the system won't be live, and you'll only run the binaries
which come with triinux (or which you get from a trusted place such as a
CD) to check out the system with.

Cindy

Cynthia J. Dale
Technical Engineer/FAQ maintainer