[techtalk] Samba and kernel options

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Sat Dec 4 13:18:35 EST 1999

On 4 Dec 1999 15:01:30 -0000, subb3 at ibm.net said:

>The goal for me is to use the NT systems local printer, CD-R and
>scanner devices. The SMB documents talk a lot about the Client and
>Server.  The source I have downloaded will create a smbd and nmbd.

>1. Do I need anything running on the NT?

You'll need to use "Client for Microsoft Networks" on the Windows
(NT/9X) side.  At least, that how I understand it to work for NT --
never actually done it.

>2. Do I need any special options in the kernel compile to be turned
>on?

If you want to be able to mount remote systems on your Linux machine,
you'll need to compile the SMB filesystem into the kernel or a module.
Otherwise, just your basic network support.

Kelly