[techtalk] bizarre....

wizard111 at netzero.net wizard111 at netzero.net
Mon Apr 13 01:14:14 EST 1998

Sounds like SOMEONE got into your system. FIRST check your
daemons, make sure something isn't running that SHOULDN'T be.
THEN check to make sure that what IS running is the proper file
(replacement of a valid program with a trojan). THEN check your
outbound mail for something that shouldn't be going out (not sent
by you or your users (/var/spool/mail from memory, varies from OS
to OS though).
FIRST, change your root password AFTER disconnecting from the
net, then make sure nothing goes out after that timestamp (don't
need to send a hacker your new password).
Good luck,
Steve