[prog] learning python

॥ स्वक्ष ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Tue Nov 9 13:08:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 01:21, Maria Mckinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was hunting around the linuxchix website, and found this mailing list,
> which I didn't even realize existed until now. I am interested in advice for
> teaching myself Python. Books, online courses, other online resources,
> whatever you think might be useful. I do have some programming experience,
> but in slightly unusual languages, and nothing formal; I have taught myself
> matlab and actionscript (flash) for work.

Welcome to the python world (Yeah, i did go through huge bouts of
doubts over learning 2.x or 3.x and stuck to the former for various
reasons :)). When I taught myself python, I found tons of material
online and am posting some of those which I hope get you started:

0. http://diveintopython.org  <-- *excellent*
1. http://software-carpentry.org/ <-- *ditto*
2. http://learnpythonthehardway.org/  <-- new, but nice for python
beginners (read, for those who have coded in other $proglanguages
earlier, but are new to python)
3. http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/index.html
4. http://www.byteofpython.info/

Besides the python list, Stackoverflow is another good resource as is
#python on irc.freenode to ask any python-related query. If you can
elaborate on what it is that you plan to learn python for, then it
will be easier to give more info.  Hope that helps,
--
Regards,
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com