[prog] Choosing a source repository site

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jan 30 16:35:18 UTC 2010

John.Sturdy writes:
> Hi,
> I'll soon be making a new project public; in the past I've used SourceForge; I know some people prefer GoogleCode (which I haven't yet tried putting anything on). Any thoughts on which one (or some other one) is better?

I couldn't find much on the relative merits of the various free source
repositories. I've ended up using google code for several projects;
I was tempted to use github since I'd like to be able to use git,
but I didn't like the flash dependence of some of their web pages,
and I knew google offered a bug tracker whereas I couldn't see
find anything on github telling me whether they offered services
like that.

Google code is very simple to use and works fine, though it's too
bad they don't offer git, just svn and mercurial.

I've had a lot of problems contributing to projects hosted on
sourceforge (cvs server not answering, passwords changing without
notice about how to reset them) so it wasn't really on my list.

	..Akkana