[prog] Java and Linux

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sat Jul 12 04:37:15 UTC 2008

> I think a lot of the problem is Sun's control over their version of
> Java, which didn't have a license that let distros distribute it. (Did I
> see a news item recently that it's finally going to be really Free?)
> So the folks working on making a truly-free Java keep working hard,
> and the distros offer that and also try to offer scripts that can go
> and get a JDK from Sun ... but those are both really hard problems.
> All those folks are doing good work ... but for now, it ends up
> being easier to get the JDK from Sun.

On Fedora, the /etc/alternatives system with the jpp respository has been
really nice for managing different java installs.

The IcedTea and OpenJDK releases are *almost* there for providing a
completely free, drop in replacement for the Sun JDK.  Sun is working hard
to reimplement code that is licensed from other places and can't be
released under a open license.   Hopefully in the next 6 to 12 months, it
will be completely free.

--
Kathryn
http://womensfooty.com