[prog] Cross platform Python GUIs

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed May 16 17:13:56 UTC 2007

(Sorry for replying again ...)

Michael Bentley writes:
> If you use Tkinter
> (which is bundled with python), you can just distribute the python
> code

That sounded so appealing I decided I really ought to check out
Tkinter. And the first thing I found was that it isn't automatically
installed on Ubuntu (Feisty). I had to install python-tk (which also
pulled in blt, tcl8.4 and tk8.4).

But python-gtk was already there (probably because it's required
by gimp).

So it might depend on which set of users need the most help.
If the Windows and Mac Python installers bundle tkinter, then
it might be reasonable to go that route, assuming your Linux users
can run "aptitude install python-tk" or equivalent.

--
    ...Akkana
    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional": http://gimpbook.com