[prog] Starting from scratch with PHP

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Fri Sep 29 00:25:51 UTC 2006

binaryjane wrote:

> I have gained some ability in making sense of some relatively ugly
> PHP, and now I would really like to know how to start at the other
> end: Where can I figure out how to write clean and shiny PHP from
> scratch? Where can I read about 'best practices' and figure out what I
> should be calling variables and functions? The site I am currently
> debugging calls their variables stuff like f_mf, and they don't
> comment their code, and it is a bit difficult to track things down
> because there is so much redundancy. I'd like to do a better job of
> it!

Join a local PHP users group.  Attend meetings.  Perhaps offer a talk yourself.
   There's a calendar for groups globally at: http://www.php.net/cal.php  If you
don't have a local group, then join a few non-local groups and use their mailing
lists.

The absolute best way to improve at writing any programming language is to get
involved in the community; join respected forums, offer solutions to other
peoples' problems, get feedback and solutions to your own.

All the best,

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |